Welcome to Year 5
We all hope that you have a lovely summer holiday, and we are looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday 8th September for the start of an exciting year in Year 5.
Mrs Balding, Mrs France & Mrs Corah
The children have begun a pilot scheme to improve their reading fluency and comprehension skills called 'Reading Plus'. They will be bringing home a letter to explain more about this. They will be accessing this program on line 3 times a week in school and we are encouraging them to access the program at home also. Their log in details are the same as their chrome book log ins.
We have booked to visit Eden Camp to enhance the work we are doing on World War II. We have been lucky enough to book the 11th November which will make the experience very special. Further detailed will follow nearer the time.
This page will give you some brief information about Year 5. We will continue to embed our behaviour policy; Ready, Respectful and Safe (RRS) with the additional Covid rules.
We will also be reinforcing good learning attitudes with the help of the Copmanthorpe Learning Buddies: Resilient Snail, Resourceful Squirrel, Reciprocal Bee and Reflective Owl.
Learning Buddies - click on this link to access more information on our learning buddies.
Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 5 team via the school office email or telephone. We are keen to keep an open and supportive dialogue between home and school despite the current restrictions.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
Please click here to find out more information about the Autumn Term learning; /docs/Y5_Termly_letter_UPDATED.pdf
- Please ensure that your child’s uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled. We will not be able to hold onto lost property anymore and children will not be able to wander the school to look for lost items so if it is not named we won't be able to return it to the correct child. They do any require any other items to be brought into school unless otherwise agreed.
- Children will be given a banded reading book to take home and read at home. When finished, they can return to school each Tuesday to choose another book to take home.
- Home School Planners will be used for recording reading, homework and a general home/school communication.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home every day for washing.
- PE will be on a Wednesday afternoon, so children are to come into school in their full PE kit on this day only. Please make sure that they have on suitable PE kit for the weather as we will usually be outside. Please also ensure that long hair is tied up and earrings are either removed or covered up on P.E. days as we will not be able to help children with this as we usually would have.
- Forest School sessions will be on a Tuesday. Please ensure the children have appropriate forest schools kit each week. They will need long trousers and a change of footwear alongside waterproof clothing for wet weather sessions.
- In regard to home learning, a weekly spelling homework will be sent home every Friday with a test the following Friday. Maths UFOs will be sent out each Friday to be returned the following Wednesday.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their packed lunches. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and they can not share any of their food or snacks with any other children.
Spelling Shed: https://www.edshed.com/en-gb
Purple Mash: https://www.purplemash.com/login/
Click here for the Year 3&4 Spellings and Year 5&6 Spellings
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate contact us.